The REFUGES Bridge Program, launched in 2013, is designed for incoming University of Utah freshmen who are interested in majoring in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) field. The program provides young people with a supportive peer group and a unique summer opportunity to live on campus, attend classes, and jumpstart their college experience. Students from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Students entering the REFUGES Bridge Program will:
- Attend REFUGES program orientation
- Attend University of Utah orientation events in June together as a cohort. (The required date will be provided by the coordinator)
- Live on-campus in the student dormitories for 7 weeks
- Complete two, for-credit courses that count towards University of Utah undergraduate degree requirements and prepare students for success in STEM: Math 1010 or Math 1050 (College Algebra) and LEAP 1100 (Pre-STEM). Math 1050 and LEAP 1100 will fulfill one quantitative reasoning requirement, one humanities requirement, and the diversity requirement.
- Participate in weekly social activities and/or group seminars
- Receive a $1,000 cash award, free tuition, and free housing and meals for the Summer semester
- Receive continued support during Freshman year, including
- Mandatory participation in LEAP 1101 in the following Fall semester
- Invitations to attend group social activities and/or seminars
- Regular check-ins from the REFUGES Academic Coordinator
I was in this program over the summer and it was amazing!! It has helped me tremendously through giving me a head start, connecting me with vital resources and preparing me for my freshman year. Without this program I would not be in the same position to succeed.Anahi Yerman
For more information contact REFUGES Academic Coordinator Allyson Rocks. (email@example.com)
Currently REFUGES Summer Bridge is not accepting applications.
Summer 2019 available at csme.utah.edu/2019bridge
Sponsors & Partners
Click here for more information.