The REFUGES Bridge Program, launched in 2013, is designed for incoming University of Utah freshmen who are interested in majoring in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) field. The program provides young people with a supportive peer group and a unique summer opportunity to live on campus, attend classes, and jumpstart their college experience. Students from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
In 2018, REFUGES is working in collaboration with the LEAP program.
Students entering the REFUGES Bridge Program in Summer 2018 will:
- Attend REFUGES orientation on May 19
- Attend University of Utah orientation events in June
- Live on-campus in the student dormitories for 7 weeks (June 11 – August 3, 2018)
- Complete two, for-credit courses that count towards University of Utah undergraduate degree requirements and prepare students for success in STEM: Math 1050 (College Algebra) and LEAP 1100 (Pre-STEM). These courses will fulfill one quantitative reasoning requirement, one humanities requirement, and the diversity requirement.
- Participate in weekly social activities and/or group seminars
- Receive a $1,000 cash award, free tuition, and free housing and meals for Summer 2018
- Receive continued support during Freshman year, including
- Mandatory participation in LEAP 1101 in Fall 2018
- Invitations to attend group social activities and/or seminars
- Regular check-ins from the REFUGES Academic Coordinator
For more information contact REFUGES Academic Coordinator Allyson Rocks. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Currently REFUGES Summer Bridge is not accepting applications.
Summer 2018 available at csme.utah.edu/2018bridge
Sponsors & Partners
Click here for more information.