The REFUGES Bridge Program, launched in 2013, is designed for incoming University of Utah freshmen who are interested in majoring in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) field. The program provides young people with a supportive peer group and a unique summer opportunity to live on campus, attend classes, and jumpstart their college experience. Students from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
REFUGES Summer Bridge will not be running Summer 2020
New! REFUGES Bridge Gallery Page
REFUGES is working in collaboration with the LEAP program, College of Science, and College of Mines and Earth Sciences.
Students entering the REFUGES Bridge Program will:
- Attend REFUGES program orientation
- Attend University of Utah orientation events in June together as a cohort. (The required date will be provided by the coordinator)
- Live on-campus in the student dormitories for 7 weeks
- Complete two, for-credit courses that count towards University of Utah undergraduate degree requirements and prepare students for success in STEM: Math 1010 or Math 1050 (College Algebra) and LEAP 1100 (Pre-STEM). Math 1050 and LEAP 1100 will fulfill one quantitative reasoning requirement, one humanities requirement, and the diversity requirement.
- Participate in weekly social activities and/or group seminars
- Receive a $1,000 cash award, free tuition, and free housing and meals for the Summer semester
- Receive continued support during Freshman year, including
- Mandatory participation in LEAP 1101 in the following Fall semester
- Invitations to attend group social activities and/or seminars
- Regular check-ins from the REFUGES Academic Coordinator
I was in this program over the summer and it was amazing!! It has helped me tremendously through giving me a head start, connecting me with vital resources and preparing me for my freshman year. Without this program I would not be in the same position to succeed.
For more information contact REFUGES Academic Coordinator Allyson Rocks. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Currently REFUGES Summer Bridge is not accepting applications.
Sponsors & Partners
The CSME’s REFUGES program would not be possible without the generous financial and in-kind support of our sponsors and community collaborators.
- The Tanner Trust
- Northrop Grumman
- College of Science
- College of Mines and Earth Sciences
- UU LEAP Program
- UU Math Department
- The College of Nursing
- Friends of the Great Salt Lake
- Dr. Sten Hasselquist from UU Department of Physics & Astronomy
- JoJo Beyene