Applicants must apply to both the MSSST Program and the Graduate School.
MSSST requires that all applicants:
- Have a valid teaching certificate
- Are currently teaching science in a secondary school in Utah
- Have at least three years of teaching experience (exceptions may be made with School Administrator approval)
- Meet the specific qualifications required for the Earth Science cohort
The Graduate School requires:
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 based on all undergraduate work, or work completed during the last two years of undergraduate study
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited university or college
How Do I Apply?
- To apply to both the MSSST Program and the Graduate School, go to: https://app.applyyourself.com//?id=utahgrad
- Complete all required sections of the application. Information on specific requirements is given below.
- On the program information page select “Science Program for Secondary School Teachers MS” from the drop down menu.
- Select the area of emphasis specific to the MSSST cohort. 2018-2020 cohort is Earth Science.
- In the Educational History section upload and submit a copy of your transcripts (these can be unofficial) from all colleges or universities you have attended.
- In the Academic Interests and Background Section upload a 1-page Statement of Purpose about what you hope to accomplish, and what you can contribute as a member of the MSSST Earth Science cohort.
- In the Academic Interests and Background Section upload a copy of your teaching license under the Miscellaneous button.
- In the Recommendation Provider section, enter the contact information for your school principal or other administrator who is qualified to judge your abilities as an educator. They will receive an auto-email directing them to upload a letter of recommendation via the online web application. Your recommender may also mail the recommendation on official letterhead to the MSSST program office but a hard copy is not required.
- You may submit a second name for a letter of recommendation but it is not required.
Once all of the required documents have been received in the web based application system they will be screened by the Graduate Admissions office and the MSSST Committee. You will be contacted by the MSSST program regarding the status of your application by APRIL. If the Graduate School and the MSSST Committee recommend you for admission to the MSSST Program, you must request official transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended and have them sent to the Graduate Admissions office. See http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/graduate/ for more information.
Application Deadlines & Fees
- March 1st priority departmental deadline for MSSST (late applications will be taken up until April 15 but the Graduate School will assess a late fee for those received after the March 15 UofU Admissions deadline)
- There is a $55.00 admissions fee for domestic students and a $65.00 admissions fee for international students to apply to the Graduate School. Applications submitted after the March 15 University of Utah deadline will be assessed a $30.00 late fee in addition to the application fee.