Apply to be an LA! (applications open Oct. 25-Nov. 15 for Spring 2021)
Spring 2021 LA Applications Open: click here to access the application.
Before applying, please review program information at csme.utah.edu/la. Applicants will need to:
Request a faculty recommendation form:
- Ask a faculty to recommend you using this link: https://csme.utah.edu/la/faculty-info/. Faculty recommenders may be from the University of Utah, or any institution where you have been recently enrolled as a matriculating student.
- Applicants DO NOT NEED A LETTER, just the linked form.
- Recommendation submissions are due the same day/time as student applications.
- *Please note: if you have previously taken SCI 5050, you do NOT need to obtain a faculty recommendation.
Prepare to complete the application. It takes time to complete, and asks for the following information:
- Contact information
- Evidence of previous courses taken – DARS Report (find a video here about how to get a DARS report)
- Anticipated graduation date
- A written explanation of your interest in being an LA (< 300 words)
- Previous experience teaching, tutoring, or mentoring others (< 300 words)
- A statement about the unique qualities, skills and experiences you can bring to the LA program (< 300 words)
- Schedule availability, including your Spring 2021 class schedule
- Ability to enroll in SCI 5050 on Fridays, 3pm-4:20pm, location TBD (likely lower campus).
- Name and contact information of the faculty member who will submit a recommendation form on your behalf
Learning Assistants will be selected based on their status as currently matriculating undergraduates evaluated on merit, demonstrated interest and/or skill in teaching and learning, and schedule availability. LAs who have been hired previously will be considered before new applicants, but are not immediately guaranteed positions, and will be evaluated according to this application.
Questions? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Resource Guide
Please click here for a directory of available campus resources LAs may use as a reference in their work with undergraduate students here at the U. Look for information that may be useful to students seeking out support in the following areas:
- Financial, food or housing insecurity
- Health and wellness
- Disability accommodation
- Child care assistance
- Safe U Resources for sexual or interpersonal violence, harassment, or discrimination
- Campus support centers and student groups
- Crisis services
Fall 2020 Symposium is set for Friday, December 4th at 3:00 p.m.