There is a growing demand for a well-trained workforce in emerging areas of biology, chemistry, math, physics, and astronomy. The College of Science is dedicated to providing the in-depth training required for careers in science and technology that meet the needs of students, the state of Utah as a whole, and the nation. Utah offers a wealth of career opportunities for science and math majors in both the public and private sectors. To provide students with critical job skills and to connect students with future employers, we have established the College of Science Internship Program.
The College of Science Internship program operates every semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) and is administered by the Center for Science & Mathematics Education (CSME). This program connects employers with eligible University of Utah undergraduate student interns who have a declared major in one of the departments of the College of Science (biology, chemistry, mathematics, or physics & astronomy). Duration of internships may vary depending upon the employer’s needs, but all internships will begin at the start of the semester and generally last at least 10 weeks. Positions may be full or part-time, paid or unpaid. Although the College of Science Internship Program does not offer academic credit, students may pursue credit through various departments on campus.
In order to participate, students must apply to the program during an application cycle. All qualified applicants who meet the basic academic criteria and minimum qualifications are passed to the employers, who then conduct additional screening to select a candidate.
Students who receive and accept an internship offer from a participating employer will participate in a career-readiness orientation at the University of Utah before their first day on the job. They will also participate in a final symposium at the end of the semester to report on the outcomes of their internship work.
Upcoming Dates & Deadlines
Fall 2017 Internships:
- Aug 14, 2017: Deadline for employers to submit internship opportunities to the job board
- Aug 18, 2017: Student application cycle opens
- Sept 4, 2017: LAST DAY FOR STUDENTS TO APPLY
- Sept 7, 2017: Employers receive pre-screened student applications and begin making selections
- Sept 21, 2017: Deadline for employers to make hiring decisions
- Sept 25, 2017: Mandatory job-readiness orientation at the UofU for students who have accepted internship offers (this event is for students only)
- Sept 26, 2017: Internships begin (start date varies by employer)
- Dec 1, 2017: Mandatory symposium at the UofU for students in the Fall program; College of Science Fall Internship Program ends. (Employers may choose to offer internships that extend beyond this date).
Spring 2018 Internships:
- The College of Science Internship Program will NOT operate during Spring semester, 2018. However, we WILL run the program in Summer 2018. For more information, please contact us.
BioFire Diagnostics * Bureau of Land Management * Chemtech-Ford Laboratories * Clark Planetarium * Dark Sky SLC * Discovery Gateway * HawkWatch International * HEAL Utah * Hogle Zoo * IM Flash * Loveland Living Planet Aquarium * The Leonardo * Momentum Recycling * Natural History Museum of Utah * Salt Lake City Corporation Open Space Program * Salt Lake City Mosquito Abatement District * Salt Lake County Weed Control * Sierra Club * STEM Action Center * Tracy Aviary * TreeUtah * UofU Athletics Department * UofU INSPIRE Program * UofU Project BioEYES * UofU STEM Ambassador Program * UofU Youth Education * Utah Community Action Real Food Rising * Utah Department of Natural Resources Division of State Parks & Recreation OHV Program * Utah Department of Health Public Health Laboratories * Utah Division of Air Quality