Students from the 2017 REFUGES Bridge Program visit the salt flats.
Photo courtesy of Allyson Rocks.
*REFUGES Summer Bridge Application now closed.*
The REFUGES Bridge Program is designed for incoming University of Utah freshmen who are interested in majoring in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) field. REFUGES provides young people with a supportive peer group and a unique summer opportunity to live on campus, attend classes, and jumpstart their college experience. This program is designed specifically for recent high school graduates from underrepresented backgrounds.
2019 Program Dates: June 17 – August 2, 2019
During the Summer before Freshman year (June 17 – August 2, 2019), participating students will:
- Attend REFUGES orientation on May 11
- Attend University of Utah orientation events in June
- Live on-campus in the student dormitories for 7 weeks
- Complete two, for-credit courses that count towards University of Utah undergraduate degree requirements and prepare students for success in STEM: MATH 1010 or MATH 1050 (College Algebra) and LEAP 1100 (Pre-STEM). MATH 1050 and LEAP 1100 will fulfill one quantitative reasoning requirement, one humanities requirement, and the diversity requirement.
- Participate in weekly social activities and/or group seminars
- Receive a $1,000 cash award, free tuition, and free housing and meals for Summer 2019
- Receive cost of tuition for LEAP 1101 in Fall 2019
Continued support during Freshman year will include:
- Mandatory participation in LEAP 1101 in Fall 2019
- Invitations to attend group social activities and/or seminars
- Regular check-ins from the REFUGES Academic Coordinator
All students are welcome to apply; participants from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged.
Student Application Deadline: April 15, 2019
1). Apply to the University of Utah for undergraduate admission by April 1, 2019.
2). Complete the REFUGES Bridge Program application form (below) by April 15 2019. The application will ask for:
- a personal statement
- an unofficial high school transcript
- ACT scores (unofficial)
- high school performance information (cumulative GPA, class rank, graduation date)
- contact information for two teachers who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation
- basic information about you
3). Send the following link to the two teachers who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation: http://csme.utah.edu/recommendation/ . Teachers must visit the link and submit their letter by April 15, 2019.
4). Student finalists will be invited to participate in an interview; interviews will take place April 22-26 between 3:30-6:30pm
Program admission decisions will be made the week of April 29, 2019.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-587-9202.
Student Application Closed!