The REFUGES Bridge Program is designed for incoming University of Utah freshmen who are interested in majoring in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) field. REFUGES provides young people with a supportive peer group and a unique summer opportunity to live on campus, attend classes, and jumpstart their college experience. This program is designed specifically for recent high school graduates from underrepresented backgrounds.
2017 Program Dates: June 12 – August 2, 2017
During the Summer before Freshman year (June 12 – August 2, 2017), participating students will:
- Attend University of Utah orientation events in May and June
- Live on-campus in the student dormitories for 7 weeks
- Complete two, for-credit courses that count towards University of Utah undergraduate degree requirements and prepare students for success in STEM: MATH 1050 (College Algebra) and LEAP 1100 (Pre-STEM). These courses will fulfill one quantitative reasoning requirement, one humanities requirement, and the diversity requirement.
- Participate in weekly social activities and/or group seminars
- Receive a $1,000 cash award, free tuition, and free housing and meals for Summer 2017
Continued support during Freshman year will include:
- An opportunity to participate in additional LEAP courses and internship placements
- Invitations to attend group social activities and/or seminars
- Regular check-ins from the REFUGES Academic Coordinator
All students are welcome to apply; participants from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged.
Student Application Deadline: April 1, 2017
1). Apply to the University of Utah for undergraduate admission by April 1, 2017.
2). Complete the REFUGES Bridge Program application form (below) by April 1, 2017. The application will ask for:
- a personal statement
- an unofficial high school transcript
- ACT scores (unofficial)
- high school performance information (cumulative GPA, class rank, graduation date)
- contact information for two teachers who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation
- basic information about you
3). Send the following link to the two teachers who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation: http://csme.utah.edu/recommendation/ . Teachers must visit the link and submit their letter by April 1, 2017.
Your completed application and letters of recommendation will be reviewed by a selection committee, and we will notify you of the status of your application by May 1, 2017.
Questions? Contact email@example.com or 801-587-9202.
Student Application Form: